Tuesday 24 May 2011

Snorkeling and Diving in Australia

Australia is fortunate to have some of the best places in the world for snorkeling and diving in the ocean. The Great Barrier Reef, being one of the seven wonders of the world, is the primary spot for this adventurous activity. I have had the opportunity to meet several experienced deep sea divers on a trip up the coast and many amateurs as well. This was the first time I got the chance to experience the sport of snorkeling and diving, but I would love to go again if I had the opportunity.


My chance to snorkel was on a sailing trip in the Whitsunday Islands, near Airlie Beach which is located on the southern end of the reef. I initially expected the experience to be casual, but it was much more rigorous that I thought. Being out in the ocean, there was much to see, but also the current and waves keep you on your toes. If you weren't careful enough, you could easily be drifted into the reef and cause damage to yourself and the reef itself. This required much energy and experience in the water was beneficial. The experts that I met were divers as well and they said that they spent every day out in the water in some way or another. I believe this lifestyle of living and utilizing the water/ocean in multiple ways is what makes Australian sports unique. There are people everywhere you go that live this lifestyle and it makes for great sports and entertainment, whether professional such as surfing or recreational such as snorkeling and diving.

No comments:

Post a Comment