Wednesday 4 May 2011

Competitive and Recreational Sailing in Australia


I have had several chances to experience sailing in Australia this semester. I joined the Sydney Uni Sailing Club right from the start, as I have always wanted to learn how to sail and possibly even compete. Weekend trips, along with a separate sailing trip in the Whitsundays, has taught me several things about sailing and especially that it is a very challenging sport to do well.



As a member of the uni sailing club, I have been able to meet people from all types of backgrounds that participate on the team. Some people are there just for fun with little or no experience, while others have been sailing their whole lives and compete on a regular basis. Either way, there is no doubt in my mind that everyone involved enjoys the thrill of sweeping across the water with the wind at their backs. Sailing is not as popular in the U.S. as it is here. I believe it is more for the wealthy, since boats are fairly expensive to obtain.



All of the sailing I have experienced thus far has been purely recreational, although I have had a chance to sail with a world class captain on a (previously) world-class boat in the Whitsundays. Even though the weather was considered by most as 'too windy' for sailing, we pulled up the massive sail and cruised through the water. I watched him as he instructed the crew to make minor adjustments that kept us almost sideways to catch as much wind as possible. I, like many others on the boat, thought we were going to tip several times but it was clear that this guy had control the whole time. Sailing is one sport especially where experience trumps athleticism as far as being a captain goes. However, with regards to the crew, they must be very strong to be able to perform many of the tasks that must be completed in order to make constant minor adjustments. It was after this experience that I realize how much I would like to take my recreational experiences and learn how to sail competitively.

No comments:

Post a Comment